Thursday, December 19, 2013

Merry Christmas!

I have always loved Christmas,
but each year I find myself in a different place.

sometimes physically, (Navy life will do that to you)
sometimes emotionally
and sometimes spiritually

Regardless:  each year I try to focus on the reason we celebrate Christmas and ponder on the story; looking with fresh eyes for something that I haven't noticed before.

This season, I read a story that has been replaying itself in my heart.  
I am sorry that I can't remember where I read the story, and thus, don't know who to credit.*  

It goes something like this:

A missionary was teaching children in a poor, rural village.
As Christmas approached, she taught the children the story of Jesus' birth.
As the days drew closer, one little boy brought in a package bundled up in old newspaper.
As she opened the gift,  she found a beautiful shell.
Thanking the boy, she ask him how he got the shell, since the nearest beach was many miles away.
He proudly told her that he traveled to get the special gift for her on foot.
When she told him that he shouldn't have gone so far -
he sweetly replied, "The journey is part of the gift".

This has touched my heart in a way that I never imagined in relation to the story of Christmas.
His journey is part of the gift.  
The God of the universe;
That spoke everything we know into being - 
came to earth;
confined to womb of a young girl;
formed in a body that had to learn to talk;
to walk;

100% human 
AND yet also,
100% God

His journey is part of the gift.  

as the song says, "this is such a strange way to save the world"  



Merry Christmas friends!




(*If you recognize the story, please let me know.  
And forgive my poor paraphrase if I missed some of the facts.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment